Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fall is Finally Here!

Ok, another drive-by:
Today's cool weather (coupled with my desire to use up stuff in the pantry and freezer) has inspired a Beef and Bean Chili.
I've posted about chili before, and I will say it again:  There is no such thing as a chili recipe, only chili suggestions.  So, here is today's 


BEEF AND BEAN CHILI SUGGESTION
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small hot red pepper, and now I can't remember what kind it was, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Combine above ingredients in dutch oven and saute until soft-ish.
Add 1 lb ground beef (7% fat is what I used) and saute until browned.
Add the following HOMEMADE CHILI POWDER that I made from scratch:
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cayenne
Stir together and add to the chili, allowing it to cook in for a few minutes to release the flavors of the seasonings.
Add 1 20-oz can crushed tomatoes, and three cans of your favorite beans (rinse 'em first!); Today I used a can of light red kidneys, a can of black beans and a can of cannelinis.  Stir to combine.
Chop three Chipotle Peppers in Mole sauce and add it to your chili.
Bring it to a boil while stirring, reduce heat and allow to simmer for as long as you can stand it.
Serve with some chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded Mexican cheeses and cornbread, or with Tortilla chips or whatever else you like with your chili.  This is just a suggestion afterall!


P. S.  I did take some pics of this chili, but I have to go pick the girls up for dance, so I'll post 'em later!

No comments:

Post a Comment