Sunday, November 28, 2010

Yummy-o-licious Yeast Rolls (Or, My Thighs' Lament)

Ok, I've mentioned these on my FB status twice and promised the recipe, but I am going to apologize to your thighs in advance:  These yeast rolls are insanely delicious and easy to make.  I think I've eaten a half-pan by myself and I have absolutely no remorse.  Or shame.  I am going to grab another right now to enjoy with my morning tea!  (It was delicious with blackberry jam!)
So, Maggie and I have decided to learn about working with yeast doughs.  We make plenty of quick breads and cakes and such, but other than pizza dough, we are not big yeast users.  I purchased (at Nice Price Books in Durham.  LOVE that place!) The Book of Bread last week, a complete guide to creating yummy varieties of breads with rich histories included.  However, with the holidays upon us, and my sister-in-law's insistence that Migliareses, who don't actually need the carbs or the feast for that matter, simply MUST have a piece of bread with their already-carb-loaded meal.
So for Thanksgiving, I made these yeast rolls.  I found the recipe at Divas Can Cook a fun home-style food blog, and adapted the recipe to my tastes.  What I like most about Diva is that she includes a technique video that is very helpful. My rolls were perfect, so even though I didn't follow her recipe exactly, I did use her technique and these are deeeelish.
Yeast Rolls of Insanity
1/4 cups white flour, divided
1 cup whole wheat flour, divided
1 packet of dry active yeast (use RapidRise if you're in a hurry)
1 1/4 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup of butter flavored shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt

melted butter as needed
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine shortening, sugar and milk.  Heat slowly to melt shortening, but do not boil.  
In the bowl of your KitchenAid mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, stir together yeast packet, 1 cup of white flour and 1/4 cup wheat flour.
Pour the shortening and milk mixture into the flour mixture and mix well.  Add your egg and incorporate completely.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and turn your mixer up to med-high speed and whip for 3 minutes.
Remove the whisk attachment and add the rest or your flour (1-1/4 cup white flour and 3/4 cup wheat flour) and salt.  Fold it into the yeast mixture until fully incorporated, using your hands if the dough becomes too stiff to work with a spatula.
Grease a bowl with vegetable oil and turn your dough into the bowl.  Cover and chill for at least an hour, though for Thanksgiving I chilled it overnight.
When you're ready to shape your rolls, rub some melted butter in the bottom of your 9 x 13 baking pan.  
Punch down the dough and cut into small pieces to shape into rolls, greasing your hands with butter to cover the rolls.  
Place the rolls into the baking dish and drizzle with whatever melted butter you have left.  Cover the pan with a kitchen towel and set the pan somewhere warm to let the rolls rise.  (They can hang out for quite some time, but DO allow yourself at least an hour for the rise.)
When you're ready to bake 'em, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Remove towel and bake the rolls for 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.  
Try not to devour these on your way to the table.


I am making a batch right now, so pictures are coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment