Tuesday, November 2, 2010

And what good is chili without cornbread!?!?!?

This is my favorite cornbread recipe, so I thought I'd share.  I don't know that any cornbread recipe is much different from any other, but I get compliments on mine and it does seem to be quite a bit moister than others.  And it's definitely better than Jiffy mix!


HONEY WHEAT CORNBREAD
1 cup good quality yellow cornmeal 
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (plus a bit extra) buttermilk
1 egg

3 T unsalted butter, melted
4 T honey 
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease your favorite cornbread pan or muffin tin.
Combine dry ingredients in bowl of mixer.
Combine the honey and butter and stir together.  
Beat the egg into the buttermilk.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 22 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.  Keep an eye on it though; you don't want to bake it!  For muffins, bake for 14-18 minutes or until golden.  (I never really know the range with my oven, sorry!)
Spread a little bit of butter across the top of the hot cornbread.  Devour immediately, or pace yourself and enjoy your cornbread warm or cold.
Tonight, I am making muffins so the girls can enjoy them with some jam for breakfast, but this cornbread, once cooled, slices beautifully so it's not too messy to serve to a crowd.  Store in an airtight container and you can enjoy this cornbread for several days, if it lasts that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment