Saturday, February 19, 2011

I know it's mid-winter, but I still want a S'more!

Time for cleaning out the cupboards, and I am not surprised that I have not one, not two, but THREE boxes of Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge cake mix.  I think I planned on making something for someone during the holidays.  Or maybe something for the teachers for Valentine's Day.  Whatever the reason, I didn't make 'em for what I had intended, but found myself this week with half a kitchen and a certain favorite elementary school Cake Walk in need of some baked goods.  And I had s'mores on my mind.  So, what does that spell?  S'mores Cupcakes, of course!
I kinda made these up this Fall, so I am not even 100% sure about all of the measurements, but here goes.  And trust me, these are insanely delicious.  Be prepared to share them with a crowd, or you will be tempted to eat them all by yourself!
S'mores Cupcakes
8- 10 graham cracker sheets, crushed and divided
3 T sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
Crush graham crackers and put into bowl.  Set aside 2 T for sprinkling later.  Add sugar to graham crackers.  Melt butter and pour over mixture.  Mix well.  Divide equally between  30 cupcake liners, pressing into bottom to form a "crust".  Each cupcake should have about a 1/8 inch crust on the bottom.  Set aside while making your cake batter:
1 box devil's food or chocolate fudge cake mix
4 eggs
1-1/3 cup buttermilk (substitute for water)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup mini bittersweet chocolate chips
Follow package directions, mix for 30 seconds and scrape down bowl, then turn to medium -high and beat for two minutes.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Divide evenly between your 30 cupcakes.  Bake as directed on box.  Option 1:  Bake for 15 minutes, then pull from oven.  Put a large marshmallow on top of each cupcake and return to oven to bake for 2 to 3 more minutes.  When you pull the cupcakes from oven, press the marshmallows down a bit to make sure they spread over the top of the cupcake, then sprinkle each cupcake with some of the reserved graham cracker crumbs.  Option 2:  Bake as directed on box, remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting with Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1- 7.5 oz jar marshmallow cream
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Beat butter on high speed until creamy.  Add in marshmallow cream and beat until fully incorporated.  Reduce speed and add vanilla and confectioner's sugar.  Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.  Spread or pipe onto cupcakes and sprinkle with remaining graham cracker crumbs.


I really would have loved to have included a picture of these divine little cupcakes, but I ate 'em all!  Actually, I donated most of them to the Cake Walk, and ended up with four leftover.  Gave three away and ate the other.  I promise a picture the next time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment