Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My favorite cookies... A Fairy Tale

Many years ago, in a land far, far away, there was a little dessert shop called The Dessertery.  The Dessertery worked hard all day making things to make my butt bigger, and Butt and The Dessertery were great friends.  One of their favorite things to do together was eat The Dessertery's very own "Desserty Cookie", which was some divine-inspired butterscotch chip oatmeal cookie with a crazy delicious texture.  Butt and The Dessertery spent many hours and many afternoons enjoying these cookies.  One day, Butt had to leave for college with me, leaving behind her old friend The Dessertery.  They saw each other less and less.  The Dessertery got a little uppity and decided to leave its cute little shop space and move to a bigger buliding down Stratford Road and become a full-fledged restaurant.  It did well for awhile, but then, like so many other formerly humble cafes, it suffered from declining food quality.  The Dessertery now no longer resembles its old self at all and is more of a market and cafe, and, honestly, the desserts just aren't the same.  And the Dessertery Cookie no longer exists.  So, Butt never saw her friend again.   
One day, as Butt and I were reminiscing about good times, we remembered that we missed The Dessertery and especially those incredible cookies.  We searched high and low for the recipe and even asked once if The Dessertery had her old recipes available for loyal customers and friends.   She did not.  After much thought and missing our old friend, Butt and I decided to take matters in our own hands and tried to reproduce the recipe.  I don't know that we'll ever rekindle the magic, but these cookies come pretty darn close:
Butterscotch Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies
1 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Mix together flours, baking soda and salt, set aside.
Cream butter and sugars in mixing bowl. Add vanilla extract, milk, and eggs and mix well. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Stir in oats and chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies or 12 to 13 minutes for crispy cookies (Never occurred to me, but you can always try!  I like my cookies chewy!) Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to wire racks. Devour warm or cool.
Makes about 4 dozen very healthy cookies! :)

Slight variation:  If you're feeling a bit adventurous, include a 1/4 tsp. of orange extract in your cookies, add it in with the vanilla.  It takes these cookies to a whole new level.


On a side note, these cookies really are a favorite of mine and I've enjoyed sharing them with friends and family for many years.  For some reason, though these cookies originated in Winston-Salem, they always remind me of our awesome friends in Seattle. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice - I'll try this one some time. By the way, I didn't have enough chocolate chips on hand when I made Traci's pumpkin muffins so I subbed in half butterscotch chips. They were divine! I passed half dozen packets out to the neighborhood and every single person asked for the recipe. That there recipe is inspired, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think butterscotch chips make pretty much everything better! I'll have to try them in the pumpkin muffins; I bet they are deeeeeeelish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! These sound delicious and easy! Just my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete