Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cold Rainy Morning Muffins

It's cold and yucky outside and I am in bed with my iBook and a hot cup of tea, nursing my cranky tummy and head. Don't know what the weekend holds, but I am thinking light comfort food, and I think that these muffins might be just the thing for Tim and the girls to make in the morning while I sleep in!
Love this recipe because they're so easy and you should always have the ingredients on hand. (I often run out of milk, but I am never without buttermilk.) And besides, EVERYONE who tries them loves them, 'nuff said.
I recommend buttermilk and you don't have to use whole wheat flour, but I assure you: These two substitutions are well worth any extra effort.
And don't forget the Golden Rule [of Baking]: ONLY UNSALTED BUTTER IN BAKING.

Mini Cake Doughnut Muffins
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (OR buttermilk)
1/3 cup butter, melted (can use margarine, but why, oh, why would you do such a thing?)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use 3/4 cup white and 3/4 cup whole wheat)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 T butter, melted
Cinnamon Sugar (1/3 granulated sugar + 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 350F. In large bowl, beat egg, buttermilk, 1/3 cup melted butter, sugar and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; mix until just blended. Spoon into greased mini muffin cups. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. While warm, brush tops with melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar. Devour. (But they're good cold too.)
Makes 24 mini muffins.

Pictures will come if/when I get out of bed, though I have a feeling if I ask Maggie, she'll take some pics for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment